This morning the doctor called around 8am with a status on Bentley.  He’s been in the hospital again since early yesterday morning.  His sugar spiked up to 700 from 600 earlier in the day and it wasn’t going down then overnight it stayed around 500.  He was twitching from neurological problems, most likely caused by the sugar being so high for 3 or maybe even more days.   His kidneys were starting to fail.   They scheduled a sonogram for 9:30 to see what was going on with him.   This hospital doesn’t have weekend hours, but their Dallas location does and his doctor will be working all weekend, so she was going to bring him with her this afternoon, just like they did last time he was there.   She said that if things got worse then we would have to make a decision  because his quality of life is going downhill, but the decision is ours.

I got a call from the hospital again, sometime around 10:30 to come and talk with the doctor.   When I got there, they brought me in back and he was hooked up to all sorts of equipment, his little head  resting on a pillow for comfort.  His eyes were open but he didn’t see.  I was stroking his head and he closed his eyes.   His body was twitching every so often, which was due to the swelling of his brain.   They were giving him insulin for sugar, steroids to reduce the brain swelling, pain medicine for the pain, fluids… and whatever else. He was non-responsive.   The doctor said it was my choice as to what to do, he was going downhill quickly, but if I wanted, she would bring him to Dallas and monitor him there and of course, do whatever she could to help heal him or at least keep him comfortable.   Tom is in Seattle on business and I had no cell service in the hospital, so I went outside to call him and to talk about everything.  He knew he was in the hospital, but didn’t know the details from the night before and that morning.  We decided to send him to Dallas and hope for the best.   But Bentley just couldn’t make it and we never made it back to the Dallas hospital. While I was outside on the phone, the doctor came running out, Bentley took a turn for the worst.   When I went in there they were trying to revive him, but his little heart gave out.   He made the decision for me.  It’s really hard to accept this, it was all so quick, or maybe it wasn’t.  From the sonogram, the doctor found that his pancreas was a mess, she could do further testing because he wasn’t strong enough. Everything seemed to indicate an aggressive pancreatic tumor.   She found a few other things too, but right now it’s all a blur to me.   I’m glad I was there with him, but so sad that he’s gone.   Rest in peace, our funny little boy Bentley.  We will all miss you.



4 responses to “Bentley”

  1. Peggy Stevens Avatar
    Peggy Stevens

    Laura, I just wanted you to know how sorry Ron and I are for your loss. Bentley made the right decision for all of you. Just glad you could be with him. He’s at peace now. I’ll be in touch soon my friend. Peggy


  2. Thank you Peg. He was such a good boy. Pippa knows something is wrong. The house is quiet, even though it was quiet when he was here… it’s different now. It all seems strange, surreal… not possible… anyway, thank You! ❤️


  3. Laura, I’m so sorry to hear this. My sympathies and hugs are sent to you. Our furry children mean the world to us and we always grieve and miss them. He was such a cute little guy. I’ve always wanted a Westie but we’ve been a hunting dog family. Our last one was a similar situation. George was out of town. And our 8 yo wire hair pointing griffon had an (unknown) internal bleed which came on quickly Took him to a 24 hr clinic as I was filing out paperwork they came running out door about resuscitation. I was dumbfounded and in shock watching. Needless to say we lost him. It was brutal I was a mess. He was so young and it was so unexpected. I can definitely relate. So sorry.


    1. Thank you, Lorraine, I’m not sure what is harder, being there as you and I were, or not, as Tom and George. They have to have a feeling of helplessness, like maybe if they were here it would be different, but you and I both know that the outcome would be the same. To me this whole thing has been surreal, even though Bentley has been sick for 2 months, I thought that once he was regulated he would be ok. But his little body couldn’t take it. Thank you again. 😊❤️💔


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: